1. If you are elderly, it is expected. Don’t buck the cliché.
2. You don’t have to go to the bank so often
3. It’s fun to open a drawer and find big denomination dollar bills.
4. Having cash you can see and touch makes you feel richer.
5. There are times when having up to $100 in cash in your home is a convenience.
A long, unexpected cab ride, for instance. Paying someone who plowed the snow off your driveway, for another. Forcing cash on a reluctant relative.
When I read that all older people hide cash in their homes, I was surprised. Then I remembered my mother told us she was hiding a little cash in her house, inside the flap of her hardcover copy of Dr. Zhivago. The dear doctor’s stash was used up long before her death. After she died, I found other hidden cash, under the dividers in her vanity table drawer, between the top and bottom of a cardboard box set inside another drawer, inside a sewing table, and more. They were never big dollar amounts by current standards. A five or a ten at most. Finding these little bits of cash was like finding Easter eggs. All good feelings.