1. If you’ve lost money in the market and it bothers you a lot, you’re not cut out to own stocks. Sell.
2. If your stocks are not making you money, find an investment that will produce a profit. Sell.
3. If you need to preserve your principal, the stock market is not a safe place to keep it. Sell.
4. If you are being killed by brokers’ fees or fund management fees, find an investment where the money flows toward you. Sell.
5. If you don’t understand why you’re in a stock or fund, find an investment you do understand. Sell.
The stock market is not for everybody. If you want to keep a few stocks just to feel you're still in the game, fine. But if anything on this list rings a bell, get out of the stock market now. You'll sleep better at night.